Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Mighty Are

 

then she called, out of the blue and just to ask a simple question. A lovely gesture to remind me (if only in my own estimation) that I was still pretty high up on the people-in-her-life list. And while I was chatting with her about the banalities of life I heard her say “ok, well maybe I’ll just go and draw some blood” and then she went back to talking to me until she had to go. I love you and all that, MUAH. But then it hit me – she called from work, from real, full-time, adult, make the world a better place work. And she was one of those angels on earth who heal others with skills I can’t comprehend. She is an actual grown-up human and I, somehow, had something to do with helping her along the way. I am so proud to be her dad, thankful for and celebrating all and every part of who she is.

And at the same time, the voice I heard was somehow 5 years old, and I was a younger man, vital, perfect in my child’s eyes and somehow relevant again. She needed me. Yes, simply to answer a question about a bag, but she needed me because she is still (in my own estimation) that small child who needs to be reminded to look both ways and who has an innocent smile that can shine in any context. She was playing a role, living out a young girl’s dreams while still knowing that when we walk my hand will still grip hers reflexively and inhumanly quickly should she stumble. I know she is stronger, and stronger than I in many, many ways, but in that moment, on the phone, she was just my baby, and I was just her dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.