Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I'm a "bad" driver. Take 1

Ahh, flashback to the I'm a Bad Neighbor series.
A few Friday's ago, i was driving a child to school. I moved into the right lane on the local poseur-highway to get around a slower driver. I drove and then shifted back to the center after I passed him. Then a cop pulled me over claiming that I performed an unsafe lane change, cutting off the other car by 1/2 a car length.

I was accelerating, he was dropping back...I looked in my mirror and over my shoulder. There was very little traffic. After the lane change he didn't flick his lights, honk his horn or flip me off. Nothing. There was nothing wrong with what I did so I was a bit taken aback. I told the officer (nicely) that I checked and felt I was safe. He said I wasn't "even close." Yay for police.

The tyicket is $85 and 2 points on my pretty clean record. I'm not so happy about that but I could swallow it if I felt that the 2 points wouldn't kill my insurance premiums. The company refuses to tell me what it would do to my rates, though. Maybe nothing, maybe a lot. Yay for companies.

So I plead not guilty and asked for a court date. I went in today and wandered through the maze that is the court house. I found the right office and eventually was called in by the prosecutor. She said that I could plead to "unsafe driving" which would remove the points, but would cost me $450 up front. Yay for governments. The beauty is that my rates could still go up if my license is audited and I am found to be an "unsafe driver" -- it wouldn't be a point surcharge but I wouldn't qualify for the preferred rates so same difference. Thus, the plea was no solution. So now I have to wait till the cop can be in court so I can get called back to take more time off and state my side of what is effectively a "he said, he slapped me with a ticket." Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.