Sunday, July 18, 2010

you are here but I'm not

Sitting in the still Cambridge morning watching only the pigeons enter Harvard is a pretty arrogant thing for anyone to say. Name and place dropping is the scourge of our time. When you inject into a passing statement the place where something happened, it had better fit into some specific cases:

1. it lends credence to your statement ("well, as I was actually in the airplane at the time, I can assure you that the captain did NOT scream like a little girl")
2. it is necessary information to help identify someone ("I'm in Times Square, under the overturned fat man on Broadway so if you could just call 911, I'll wait")

Beyond that, mentioning where you are is a way of saying "nyah nyah...I'm here and you suck."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.