Monday, September 5, 2011

An Open Memo to the Good Folks at VH1

Recently, I found myself in Israel. I was taller than I expected but that's not my point. While wasting some time in my mini junior suite I worked through the TV stations and found myself watching VH1 Classic. It led me to some questions which I will now pose. These are aimed specifically at the people who run VH1 classic, and by extension, those with some expertise in the field.

1. What exactly defines "classic"? A segue from Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" into something by Fine Young Cannibals ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwK_lMZBxBw ) is jarring -- I can't see any category which includes them both other than "songs by people who breathe air."

2. Do you think that the director of the Miami Sound Machine's "Dr. Beat" really believes that the video he directed is either effective story telling, or a reasonable representation of "good" video work? [If you have stumbled upon this and have never seen the video, watch the video here http://youtu.be/GQ0Drtft8-I
or even better, watch the "first version" which I guess wasn't even good enough to be considered the official one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzPzoVIg5iM ]

3. At what point did the video for the Pretenders "Back on the Chain Gang" turn into Yes's "Owner of a Lonely Heart"?

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.