Monday, September 14, 2020

Expert Teas

 I really like Earl Grey. I find the citrus aroma to be enticing and the flavor to be really delicious. But I stumbled on a web site on which some self proclaimed expert spoke of how horrible Earl Grey was to an actual tea purist.

So here's the thing -- tastes vary. One man's meat is another man's dairy, or something like that. What I like you might think is horrible. You'd be wrong, but we allow that. I'm not saying that my opinions are necessarily correct, but I could be saying that, and you'd be wrong if you disagree.

Superman, if I recall correctly, had X-Ray vision. That's a good kind of vision if you need to find your lost baseball which has been lodged in a small animal's rib cage, but not so useful if you want to imagine what a particular house will look like if you paint the walls a shade of blue right beyond robin's egg. Having the skill doesn't confer authority. In fact, right now, my foot hurts.

You weren't expecting that. Admit it. ADMIT IT! I knew it.

So I was wondering -- "wouldn't it be awesome if I had Superman around right now so he could take a look at my foot and tell me if I have the dreaded foot disease or just something more run of the mill, like a foot condition." Would I need a prescription? Is there a co-pay? Should I make my shoes tighter or (dare I say it) Luthor?

But here's the thing -- just because he can see into my foot (lucky him...I have extremely attractive foot bones) doesn't mean he knows what he is looking at. Consider that for a moment. He's Superman. He is a "super" man, but that doesn't mean he is an educated man. Is the ability to see through things a sign of being super? What we can do doesn't mean that we understand what we have done. Superman is no more than Victor Frankenstein with good hair even though I have no proof that Victor didn't have good hair. Celebrities, athletes and even politicians can read books and have opinions but that doesn't make them experts. 

So let's be careful what we ask for. If we hope Superman will show up he might only be able to fly fast and yet not know what is needed at any moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.