Friday, January 30, 2009

Effluence, confluence, influence

Sometimes things don't hit you just right until one day when they hit you just right. Such a hittage took place this morning. Now I know when I tell you this, you will say "of course...the rest of the known world knew about this about 20 years ago, which is why they call it the 'known' world...duh"

Sorry for joining the party late.

So I'm listening to the radio this morning and I hear Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody to Love." I must have heard that song 500 times, just in the past 2 years; it is a classic rock staple, like rice or staples. But I guess the radio balance was a bit different or the volume was set just so or my ears were more properly attuned because of the icicles hanging from them. I actually heard the back up singing on the chorus. Male backup and it made me think of another song. This is normal because I listen to enough songs that eventually a couple will sound alike. But this one really reminds me of something about "Girlfriend" by Matthew Sweet. I happen to like that song a whole lot so maybe that is influencing what I'm hearing, but there is some resonance in the production (maybe a monotonic multi-voiced male thing) of both songs and it really hit me hard.

Do me a favor (and I know that amongst my legion of fans, millions will do this, and some percentage will hear what I hear) listen to both songs (especially the backing vocals on the Jefferson Airplane) and let me know if you hear it. And, hey...thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.