Monday, January 20, 2020

Mondinner

Just a quick note to sum up my Monday --

Brian (a friend from high school who made aliyah a long time ago and lives in downtown Tel Aviv with his wife and kids) made reservations at a meat restaurant called L'Entrecote. I walked past it earlier today and wished I was the kind of guy who got to eat there. And look what happened! After my nap, I counted the minutes until I could start walking. It was supposed to be a 25 minute walk but I planned to stretch that to 35 through the judicious application of saunter and a side of stroll. I saw all sorts of interesting stores and stuff, and there were even a few people out. I didn't feel like I was walking through any bad neighborhoods, but there were some streetlights out, and because certain buildings are being torn down or rebuilt, there were spaces between civilization, gaps where the imagination lives and runs free. There be pirates.

I walked early because I was bored and walked slowly because I left early. I still got there early. To wile away the time, I ordered a drink. I happen to be a vodka drinker and a good one. I saw the brand I prefer and I ordered it. I am pretty sure that that isn't what they gave me. I could see the bottle when it was being poured, but that didn't taste like my brand, and yes, there is a taste. I'm not the kind of guy to stand on ceremony and demand to see the bottle (not that that would matter -- an empty bottle can be refilled with anything), nor will I storm out the door muttering about "these prices" but that wasn't what I ordered ma'am.

Before the meal I also had time to sit and soak it all in, and that means more than the vodka. Just the sights and sounds, the feelings and experience of being there. Sensing all that appeals to the senses, of which I have many.

Next to us was a table of 6 Americans, all in the range of 60 years old. Some being difficult customers. I resisted the urge to introduce myself and play Jewish geography not just because I don't do things like that and I don't like interacting with people but because I knew that my celebrity would ruin their dinner. For my appetizer (and Elijah had this also) I got the Arias. That was the thing that Maddie got in fake-food-form last night. This was good but it was very similar to a burger in a pita. Then I got the "steak the size of your mortgage" so this was a big steak (though in the grand scheme of things, 500 grams isn't so huge; they also undercooked it a bit too much for my tastes). Elijah asked me if I was going to be able to eat both the appetizer and the steak. I let my mouth do the talking, but only in between bites. Polished it off rather easily, not even any meat sweats. Disappointing.

Another point about language -- I need someone to speak to me in Hebrew, but without lingo and without accent. A guy today asked me if I wanted rice. That's a phrase which I understand. But he zoomed through it and had some sort of accent (possibly Israeli) so I couldn't figure out what he said and I stood there, like a Dan, feeling dumb. Like a Dan.

Here's to hoping the benadryl knocks me out...

Tomorrow, "The Return of the Maddie" and "Mall for the plan."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.