Saturday, January 18, 2020

Walking on Airbnb

So much has happened, and, at the same time, not a lot. I will explain, as I type from an AirBnB in Tel Aviv, on my tablet and bluetooth keyboard. Limitations? When I use RDP, controls like the shift key, the control key, the right click function and the directional arrows don't work. When I go in through the native Chrome interface, the cursor often jumps two lines away as I type so I look up to find myself typing in the middle of another sentence. First world problems, right?

Let's talk about problems briefly. I complain. A bunch. I know it and I appreciate you not pointing it out. But I do. Things annoy me and I use this venue as a way and place to air my petty grievances. But please realize -- I do that because I know they are stupid. I focus on these little things because I understand that on a macro scale, things are actually going really well. So indulge me my curmudgeon and let be vent about the trivia.

I believe I have to catch up on Friday and Saturday, so let's do this.

Friday morning, after a good and restful slumber. Maddie came by and we walked down to Gan Sacher (the park down the street) and went into Gan Sippur, a relatively new cafe in the park. The menu was incredibly fancy and all I wanted was a simple coffee and an egg or something. I'm a simple guy. Instead I ordered some foccacia with loads of stuff on it, most of which was interesting (labaneh? WTH is that?). It was really good except for the kalamata olives which taint everything they touch. Maddie and I also shared a loaf of garlic bread. I had a double espresso and we chatted and had fun. It was nice. We were in the "outside" section, but not the section that was outside. We were in a glassed in area so it was comfortable, but we weren't inside the restaurant. And we weren't actually outside. Fascinating. We returned to N+D, chatted with them, packed and prepped to go to Josie with the snacks that one delivers to someone in school. The new pizza place was closed on a Friday so we went to a local grocery and got chips and such. After hugs and goodbyes to the Swidler brood and 'rents, we hopped a Gett (that's Hebrew for Uber) with loads of bags, and we're off to Migdal Oz.

Josie is getting ready for the army, doing exercises, and living in ramshackle housing to prepare her for the exercises and housing of the army. Her Hebrew is impressive and she's just a really great kid. Super to you, Josie! You just eat those chips and go on a hike or whatnot. Steve Lauderdal came to pick us up at Migdal Oz (he was supposed to come to Saturday lunch but the weather threatened and the walk from Zayit to Rimon is tough on a nice day) and took us to Oshin. The Oshins have a wonderful house and 4 children. Or it might be wonderful children and a house. All I know is that seven bathrooms were involved so there was no line, Green or otherwise, that mattered.

We had a wonderful time with the Oshins. The children are at various stages of emerging adulthood from "adulthood" to "impending adulthood" and everything in between. But when they all get together, suddenly they are all between 6 and 10 years old. This makes me younger, so I appreciate it. Elijah came by and we had a lovely dinner with fun conversation and siblings and former neighbors picking on each other. Very relaxing.

That's an important point. Along with my acknowledging that the things I complain about are dumb, I also know that the highs are really great. Sitting at Greg's in Cinema City with N+D I just stared at all that was around me and soaked it in. It felt great At the Oshins, I just let the "vacate" wash over me. It continues with interludes of happiness. So, yeah, that.

I didn't sleep well, or even at all over Friday night. I had missed my migraine medicine for a couple of days, I was still jet lagged and I had some Boru vodka with dinner. I was up for 8:15 shul at about 3:13, so by the time it was time to go to services, I was properly ready for a nap. A kiddush, a nap, and then a lunch later (one boy works at Harvey's Smoke House in Jerusalem and they are teaching him some great food prep habits!), it was time for a nap. Or cards. Or games, or reading or whatever it was time for. I sat and watched as the children tortured each other. Ah, good times. Lemon cake was involved.

Shabbat ended and it was time to pack up and move on. Tearful goodbyes, and Dani drove us to the bus stop outside the Malcha Mall parking lot. Thanks for the ride, Dani! A quick taxi from there to Elijah's friend's house to pick up some skis, and then the same cab to Tel Aviv with our 5 bags, plus a back pack and skis. The driver and Maddie and Elijah swapped army stories and I listened and smiled. We arrived at the AirBnB and found our way in. If you ever want an AirBnB in downtown Tel Aviv, and just want a nice and plain apartment, this is the one you want. Tel Aviv looks and feels like a small town that grew up and never updated its urban planning. Tiny, winding roads and low buildings coexist with high rises and 6 lane highways. Strange tension but so far, it works. We stepped out for some pizza and a Heiniken at Penne Bar (the pizza is fresh and personal without being intrusive). Came back to a passel of police on the doorstep. Apparently they heard something, but what it is, ain't exactly clear. They left, Maddie collected her stuff and left, and I sat down to spill my brains into the computer.

I feel like I am completely out of touch with the world in terms of social media and news, or even what time and day it is but I am eating well, and am enjoying myself and why can't you just let me be happy?

I will assemble a collection of pictures when I return to NJ. I am using both my phone and a real camera so I want to collect all the pictures in one place and then maybe insert some links to pictures to associate them with what I am writing. I'm really tired and not thinking as not clearly as I usually do so I should sign off and try to find my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.