Friday, November 26, 2021

Walking on something

 I failed again at sleeping so I was up before the sun. Slacker, that one.

Waking early watching the world catch up

Streets that will be later jammed are

somehow silently serene, still.

The revellers of last night

nurse memories still

mired in sleep while I rule

their stage alone with the new day.

People up likewise early

rush to avoid the rush, afraid

ever to be late.

We are the authors (or at least

co-authors) of our lives, some hoping

to be published

to be read, 

others just hoping not to perish.


I took an early morning walk, to watch the world before it was sullied by human presence. That's a bit snobbish, I know, but I guess I'm just hard wired that way. I walked up to King George and took a right. Shocking. I had no idea where I was headed and that's the best way to take a walk. I passed the home of the Knesset from 1950 to 1966. I have never noticed that before -- how long has THAT been there?

As I stood opposite the Heichal Shlomo synagogue I saw a little white dot in the sky. It moved to the left, and stopped. it was up really high, catching the sun and then not. I thought it could be a mylar balloon but it was up really, really high. I took a picture and it looks like a planet, but it isn't. I watched it drift and stop with no discernable pattern to its visibility or direction of movement. It made no noise and didn't ascend or descend. I'm convinced it was a UFO. I tried to take a picture specifically for Facebook but the local wifi is non-existent and my phone has run its course of data for the day so that didn't work.

A right turn at the Leonardo (next to the apartment on stilts which I remember from 40+ years ago), down past the Supersol and the center for Conservative Judaism (you all surely remember that I broke my arm there on Yom Kippur of 1976 so I won't remind you. -- i considered asking the armed guards if I could come in and see that spot but I feared trying to explain my interest so I moved on). Next was a building that said it was the US Embassy. I expected more grandeur. Maybe the grandeur comes out after 7AM. [it has been subsequently explained to me something something conuslate something something residence something events but the details are lost on a fragile flower as I am; I'm here as eye candy, not to learn stuff].

I ended bak at Mamilla so, of course, I headed to the Kotel. how could I not? No one stopped me as I took pictures of all the things I have seen before.

I got to the wall and saw a sea of talleisim (I dare not push my way through) and people asking for money. That is the one thing that keeps me from enjoying going to the Kotel more -- the guilt I feel when I see and hear all the people asking for money. I feel bad when I give to them and when I don't. One man approached me and said that his wife died and he had 8 kids to support. Eight. I wanted to look at him and say "so what are you doing here schnorring? Go parent your kids!" I didn't. I bit my tongue and handed him my pocket change.

I took a left and went to the area to the left of the men's section which has the continuation of the wall. The wall continues as does the prayer, despite and in counterpoint to the construction going on. I sat.

It hurts too much to sit there and feel what I feel but I can't imagine ever wanting to leave. This is THE place, a palpable sense of the divine is here -- if not because of an actual presence then because of the myriad believers who wear their faith as a long coat. Time flies and yet stands still. How many generations cried and died so I can sit here in a plastic chair and watch people pray at their own pace?

A first -- I saw someone actually wearing 2 pairs of head tefillin at once. I have heard of this practice but have never seen it. Until now.

There are more stairs up on the way out each time I go. Are they adding steps? Somehow all this walking is making me less in shape. Weird.

I really want a coffee and a bagel but, ironically, the store by that exact name is still closed. So I walk back up Yaffo. I see Sammy Tyler's mom on the way (she warns me that there are many more Frisch people up ahead...I ended up seeing none of them. Lucky, I guess)

I thought about a breakfast boureka but decided against.

I made it to Sam's Bagels and had a "bagel" (not completely unlike a bagel) with cream cheese, tomato and cucumber. I forgot to get the bagel toasted, but it was still warm so that was ok. The woman behind the counter said "Good morning" to me as I walked in. Am I wearing some sign that says "English speaker" on me? Do I smell like an Anglo? NIS 35 for that bagel and coffee. I have the sense that that is more than I would pay for the equivalent in the US but there you go. I still wanted something sweet and when I asked the woman about the chocolate chip cookies they had for sale she said that they have nuts. Even the things that don't have them as an ingredient are made on the same line and share equipment, she explained apologetically. She didn't recommend any of them to me. Honesty is appreciated. Cookies would be more appreciated. I continued on and walked into English Cake just to torture myself.

It worked.

Also, there were bees on the pastries sitting out, so let's just couple one phobia with one allergy and we have a sure fire way to keep me from eating. Well done.

On my way down Betzalel I saw Nomi heading up so I decided to keep going and accompany her on her errands. We walked back to the King George area and lo, and behold the UFO was there and Nomi saw it! Shopping continues. At a different Pink Lady I found a maybe, so that's a good thing. The store "Rachel" had nothing (though it advertised itself as a head covering store). The next 3 Pink Lady stores (no joke...same street) had nothing of interest.

We went to maxstockzolmax to look for socks for the children. Nomi needs new socks! Music on the loudspeaker has been on a loop since 1957 and some of the products on the shelves have kept it company all along.

I saw the Schwartz girls and proised to review their essays on the plane so I have that to look forward to. We walked through the shuk and I saw Remy Tamir (abearded!). Nomi looked for specific candles for Channukah. I'm looking at everything else. We saw Bruriah Spraragen. Hi Bruriah, i said. She said hi back. It is a friendly country.

We stopped at a Natural Place to see if they, in their pursuit of gluten free, sugar free everything free accommodation they ight have "nut free." No such luck. But right nearby there was a "Power Coffee" place so we stopped by. Nomi asked the guy about nuts in his food. He said he would call the baker! The report was that there are no nuts in the donuts but they are packed on the same counter as other products that have nuts. That's not so much of a concern and since he said he would make me a cup of Swiss-water decaf (French press) I decided to risk it. Note to everyone, "Herby's" baked products that don't have nuts, actually don't have nuts! The coffee was good to start and it got better as I drank it and the Boston Creme equivalent was yummy and not problematic.

Then back to the house and we are getting ready for Shabbat. A blessing on all and I'll catch you on the flip side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.