Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Airport '21

 The afternoon was all about setting up for the Channukah party. And, for me, repacking because, yeah. I have sublet Yoni as my guide for the walk to the train and booked him in accordance with my neuroses.

Before the party starts, Tali Aronsky (from Flatbush), who is a friend of Nomi's came by to visit. Then Tasha came by with Amalya nd the new baby, Tzofia, who is a baby, all day, every day. So far and successfully. We shall check in at intervals and update you as events warrant.  David and Nomi started cranking out fresh, hot (HOT) donuts. Some were covered in chocolate fudge, others in powdered sugar and all with my greezy fingerprints. Gross, right?

Emmy and Tasha, neither of whom I have seen recently are both wonderous and wonderful. Emmy is fluent in Hebrew, as one would expect, and has a winning personality, which confirms that, somehow, Ira isn't related to her. The baby has no discernable personality and can't hold a conversation. Disappointing. I will check back at intervals etc.

Zevi came by with the boys and seeing them and how big they have gotten was a hoot. I spoke with Zevi for a while about board games, children, and life and stuff. Then I got an extended engagement as a baby holder for the queen baby. I held her while she continued to be a baby and it was awesome. Eventually, I couldn't feel my arm and the familiar back pain returned. Good times.

Next, Violet and her 2 kids came by, and then, after everyone left, Kayla Miodownik whose name I assume Ihave just misspelled visited and entertained the littles. We sat and shmoozed and compared phobias and neuroses. It was so much fun and helped me pass the time til departure. Kudos, thanks and appreciation to the swidlers for hosting me so graciously!

I had had orange soup (color, not flavor) and a couple of donuts but not a real meal, so nothing of size since the Sam's Bagel extravaganza, but I wasn't really hungry. I was expecting to duck out and grab a meal after candle lighting but the butterflies kept that from happening. Nerves. Amirite? For the firt time during the entire trip I wasn't hungry.

The antsy-ness finally drove me to leave at 7:55. Yoni all of 12 years old, walked with me and dragged one of my bags. He set a blistering pace on a mostly uphill course but I'm glad he did. I bought a ticket (NIS 16.50) and descended the 15 escalators into the depths of hill. I walked a long corridor and found more escalator. I figured that by the time I got to platform 2, I was half way to Tel Avib, and a third of the way to earth's molten core. When I finally got on the 8:33 train, it was 8:26, which in my world, is cutting it way too close. I made sure to hold on to my ticket (lesson learned) for the exit -- it actually says to do that on the ticket itwself, but who reads train tickets?

Here's where it all spins out of control. I remembered to hold on to my ticket, but left my entire knapsackbackpack at the x-ray machine by security in the Jeruslaem train station. I realized this as I looked out at the lights of the Judean night and wanted to take a picture with the camer that was in my...oh crap. There was much scrambling but in the end, Rafi was able to get to the train station, speak with the security people, find my bag and hop a later train following me to the airport. Good egg, that boy. In the meanwhile, i connected with Elijah's relative and got the skis to deliver. Up to level 3 and the various lines. The time was in the range of 9:15. Fortunatley, the lines were long and slow so by the time I wa through the first screening, Rafi had arrived with my pack. He, of course, couldn't get home because the train, it seems, was not allowing anyone back on for the return trip. For no real reason other than "because." I recommended the bus and I believe he ended up on a sherut (shared taxi) so I owe him 25 bucks.

The timeline:

8PM ish, leave the house

Make the 8:33 train by 7 minutes.

Arrive at the airport at around 9, and meet up with Elijah's cousin guy

Start first security line at 9:10

Get to front of that line and have someone check my passport by 10 (get pack from Rafi)

Get on baggage check in line and check in baggage by 10:20

Then to over-sized baggage check in for the skis. Done there at 10:40

On the next security line at 10:43

Finished with personal and hand luggage screening by 10:55. At passport control at 10:58

There is a food/shopping area and there was a place with kosher sandwiches but no place to wash so I figured I'd wait because last time, they had the same food at the gate area. That was a bad plan. The kiosk is closed at the gate. The local soda machine has caffeine drinks and 4 regular sodas so that's a no go. So the tension is easing and the adrenaline waning and I haven't eaten much recently. We'll see how this plays out. I have a 12 hour flight, lots of luggage and passport stuff and a cab ride to look forward to. 

Signing out for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.