Thursday, August 22, 2024

Revisiting the past

There are some people in our lives whom we only really know in association with their advanced age. Either we first met them or were first noticed or were influenced by them when the person was already older. Because of time and circumstance, we never knew the person or people in their youth, never in their glory, but only in their advanced years. Think of Ray Kinsella's description of his interaction with his father: "I only saw him later, when he was worn down by life."

What technology has done is an amazing miracle. It has allowed us a window into the past, letting us see the images, the sites and even the sounds of those heroes. Stumbling on a recorded voice or a moving image of them in their prime (as the miracle in Iowa isn't something on which any of us can rely) is a refreshing vision -- to be able to gaze into the past. And through this technology, I was privileged to share in my own mini-miracle, and see and hear those whom I only knew in their dotage when they were youthful and vibrant, their lives still ahead of them. I could better understand how they became the people whose tutelage turned out to be so formative to me in my life.

So thank you, MeTV, for showing me Lorne Greene on Wagon Train.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.