Sunday, January 15, 2023

Beach Bumming Bingo

 

Let's talk for a bit about McDonald's. I know it isn't "good" but a vast majority of metrics, but I also know I don't like the metric system so I shan't be slave to its judgmental whims. I totally get the predictability of comfort food. Order bland, get bland. Just like mom used to tell us not to eat. And kosher, by the way. A mall in Netanya and there I was eating a double McChicken sandwhich made of highly process near-chicken type food on a roll with lettuce and some sort of sauce. How can that be bad? Well, they find a way, but it was interesting at least. And at most.

I got the aforementioned double mcchicken sammich with fries and a side of onion rings. Shades of brown punctuated by a darker brown diet Coke. I felt so rustic. I ordered on a machine, was informed via machine that my food was ready and ate like a machine. Yes, I had to walk a half mile to find someplace to wash (a problem that didn't seem to plague the other religious people there, but I don't judge except when I do), but when I returned, my food was magically still boring. It was mostly tasteless, lukewarm and full of fat, just like me! I really did enjoy it because ot was like the forbidden fruit but without the concern that I was actually wasting calories on fruit.

I had to connect to a separate wifi network (the system repeatedly disconnected me with no explanation so that was annoying) but the idea that I was cruising the internet on a network called McDonalds made me happy. Eventually, I shall go off wifi and use my travel pass but math wise, I have to limit that to 3 24-hour periods so I will be careful to stay in airplane mode when I can.

I was on my way to leave the mall when I reallized that along with the entry level and the upstairs, there was also a downstairs! I had no idea. There was a store I had no interest in but also a full supermarket and a coffee place, a burger place, a pizza place and a falafel place. That's a lot of places all hiding from me. Amazing! I left as I had just super-sized my belly and needed to walk more than I needed to sit and eat more. I headed down Herzel and eventually, it turned into a pedestrian walkway (well, maybe it was a little nicer than pedestrian, but still, just medium) filled with stores selling stuff I didn't need. Refreshing! there was also a surplus of construction and destruction all around with the city being both torn down and built up simultaneously. Thanks Lior Suchard! There was a large square designed for pigeons and tourists and I found myself to be both. Next, the million stair staircase down to the beach. I walked down, still accoutered in my winter coat for a proper January day on the beach. From the water's edge, I watched a bunch of people surf as the sun started pounding down, making the day passable! The sun was out, but the soldiers didn't wait re: their guns. Those are out regardless of weather. It warmed up and the streams turned into puddles which turned into steam. The circle of life continues amidst cigarette butts. A brisk wind both on and off the water helped me rationalize my heavy coat but I still felt silly as I watched ten year olds run into the water wearing shorts. Things were relatively quiet as it is out of season so only the hardcore bugs tortured me.

Back up the staircase and the return walk. I stopped off at a store to buy a gift for Ira and his apartment. I, it is in the pantry off the laundry room. You're welcome. I strolled back, paying attention to everything and remembering nothing. It was very relaxing. Then I went up to the roof of the apartment building and sat iin the sun for a little while. Quite nice. Next up, the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.