Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Take a the train

 Andi showed up at 4:40 (earlier than expected) and we chatted for a bit, and with Heidi, all of us celebrating Andi's 15th birthday! YAY ANDI! Then she and I talked about our dinner and my egress options. We decided to eat sushi (and pay). We walked down to Herzl (no, the other one) then to something like Simnaski Street and then there was another turn or two and we found Simaki, the sushi place. We were offered menus in French but I de-mured. I guess I give off the French vibe but I don't know if that's good or bad. Andi got a bowl of noodles and stuff called the Hong Kong (interesting note, the fish place is actually a meat restaurant so you can have certain dishes wth chicken or beef if you don't want fish). I ordered the "Hot Combo" because, you know, me (and "Hot Mess" didn't test well). It was a roll of fried sushi (salmon, avocado, sweet potato and rice covered in black sesame seeds), a roll of fried sushi (same things but in tempura batter), sushi balls (a ball of rice, salmon, avocado and maybe somthing else in tempura but in a ball shape) and also sushi rice balls filled with rice and tuna salad (weird but true) and coated with something and fried. On the table, there were 2 bottles, both labeled "soy sauce" but one had a red top and the other, a green one. I played a little Chinese roulette and discovered that one was soy sauce and the other, teriyaki. I just couldn't remember through the meal which was which. Fun! There were also containers of "spicy mayo" which was neither spicy, nor mayo. Discuss.

We ate up and paid up and then walked back (taking the scenic route which allowed us to see a totally different set of shoe stores and fruit stands). Outside the stores the smells alternated between "freshly cleaned bathroom," "cigarette," and "hobo with a stomach ache." All very exotic. The people strolled along oblivious to the fact that they were strolling along and some of us wanted to get somewhere else. We saw little dogs and children, some of them on leashes. I'll leave it to you to decide which. Imagination time!

I chatted with Andi about living in Israel (she generally likes it) and about how it has made her very independent and mature but is also difficult because she struggles with the language. She is able to navigate the pubic transportation (she is self-effacing and credits her moovit app, but she has some real street smarts on her own). We made it back to the apartment with enough time for us to take a bus together. Andi debussed (she was well composed at the time) at a stop near the mall so she could hop the bus to Kfra Saba and Josie and I stayed on until the train station. I had my passport ready so the security guy could see that I am the guy in the passport, and then he asked me if I had anything dangerous on me. I didn't say anything about the pen being mightier. I'm not picking fights with nice young Russian-Israeli security guys. Eventually we got through to the right track and boarded the southbound train. There, we chatted about her education and her experiences and like that. She is also a fantastic kid so the evening was pleasant.  I detrained at Sividor Merkaz but I don't know what that means. It is somewhere near north Tel Aviv so have at it, party people.

I waited for the 771 (on the same track -- this is why I got off there, so that I wouldn't have to track down another track). I could already sense a difference from Netanya. Some of the announcements were in English and I heard more English being spoken on the platform by the passengers. I know I shouldn't celebrate this, but it really is comforting. Except that the main guy speaking English just WOULD NOT STOP.

I got ready to relax on the train but was asked to join a maariv minyan. It had to be timed for right after the doors closed at a particular station so the guy who was throwing it together had everyone wait until he confirmed 10 and the train was in the right place. A soldier (who really looked 16 years old) led the prayers and there was a wonderful mix of people -- tourists, chareidim, locals, all trying to pray and not fall all over each other when the train sped up or went around a curve. By the time I got back to my seat we were almost in Jerusalem so I gathered my stuff and moved towards the door. Knowing I had my big bag, I decided to try something new and take the elevator. The first was fairly small, the second (which was not right next to where the first left us off) was larger, and there were 3 of them. There was a third but I had gotten so annoyed by then that I toughed it out up the escalator. Then it was simply a matter of pretending I knew where I was going. I loaded a map up and pretended to be doing something other on my phone than being helpless. Never show fear. They can smell fear. And feet. They can smell feet also. While, yes, I had to figure things out, I felt much more comfortable because I generally knew where I was. That's an unusual feeling for me.

I made my way in the world today with everything I had and found Nomi and David's and am settling in. Good night moon, good night brush, good night Saigon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.