Thursday, January 12, 2023

Meet the Newark, Same as the Old Ark

 As per my earlier post, I needed to deal with a mass of neuroses in a relatively short time so I doubled up and didn't sleep in order to maximize my crazy time. I started pacing at about 6AM after not sleeping. I also had both coffee and tea. On the plus side, both were delicious. On the downside, I may never sleep again. You do what you can I guess.

We left the house at 4PM which scratched my crazy just right. 3:30 would have been even scratchier but I have to learn to take a deep breath and be reasonable. Old dog, meet new trick. At the airport by 4:35 for an 8PM flight. That works. Then we start waiting on lines. The first thing (and if you didn't know this, you wouldn't go there) was the pre-check in security line. The nice El Al people ask questions about where you are from, where you are goping and if you packed your own bag. I answered honestly and I got waved through because my profile is just plain smashing!

Then we check in. New thing -- they were weighing ALL carry on bags and enforcing a limit of 8 Kg (which is about 1 and a half pounds I think). In my carry on, I had a game, a picture, a belt, my tallis and tefillin and not much else. That was over by 2 Kg (18 pounds). The woman offered to check in my carry on or I would have to move things. I moved the game and the picture, shmooshing (technical jargon, I know) them into my luggage and hoping they don't get destroyed. That lowered my weight to 8.6 Kg (4 stone and a rock) but she let that go. My tallis and tefillin won't fit in my personal bag so what was my choice? It is tough to be a Jew.

Then we go to the security line at which we doff our shoes and coats and empty our pockets. Some things go in bins, some don't but whatever you do, you are doing it wrong. So I did it wrong, got corrected, scanned, patted down, x-rayed and spoken down to. It was fun. Then I moved my stuff off to the side so I could get dressed and move things to the proper pockets. Gate B62, here I come. I settled in and noticed that my carry on bag is breaking. This might be its last hurrah which is sad because the built in table is incredibly useful. They are making an announcement about the limitation on overhead space and, again, asking if anyone wants to check bags in. I'm sticking to my guns on this. I wonder if there will be a maariv in the terminal.

More updates as events unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.