Friday, March 1, 2024

More movie notes

Tonight's first choice was The Forbidden Kingdom but that's not available to stream for free so I moved past it. Then I saw the poster for (and trailer for) The Misfits with Pierce Brosnan. This looked like a movie for me. In the end, I think it was an it wasn't.

As I watched it i had a strong, strong feeling like I had seen it before. I was completely convinced that I had. But the thing is, the weird thing is, I have no memory at all of ever having seen it before! I'd think that I'd think that that's pretty important to have when trying to remember things. So what's going on here?

But my point is that at 41 minutes in to the movie, the "Misfits" (hence the title, I guess) are to travel across what they report to be "30 miles of virgin desert" (I know, sounds hot!) via camels. That makes sense. But in the next few scenes we get a series of shots (aerial, front, from the back and like that) showing a line of camels, traveling one behind the next, all connected by a rope and each being led by a local guide. That means that the local guides had to walk 30 miles in the virgin desert. I'm pretty sure that's not how these thing work.

The movie continued and for the love of all that is Pete, I was still sure that I remembered so many scenes. It was a constant state of I have deja viewed this before. But then there were scenes that I didn't recall AT ALL and I certainly could neither remember nor intuit the ending.

The movie turned into a very poor man's version of Oceans 11 down to the stylings of the musical accompanyment and incidental music but I don't recall any of that from before.

It wasn't that the directing was bad -- the directing was fine and even good and the director is to be commended. It's just that the movie, itself, was bad. Poor. Insultingly iterated. Derivative but not in a good way. I can only speak of a single human character because none of the roles on screen presented enough personality on its own to be considered human, and only when all the fractions were added up did there amount to be anything resembling a complete character. The story was muddled, the pacing inconsistent, and the timeline unclear.

The plot is about items stolen, slightly reshaped and returned without having ever become anything new. Oh, wait, did I write "about" up there? Delete that "about" and read the sentence again.

So in the end, the film is exactly for me, so much so that I get the sense that I have chosen it before. But it isn't for me because I deserve so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.