Monday, January 31, 2011

Why I am Paranoid

Have you ever needed to restart your computer? You go through the shut-down procedure and choose "restart." The computer goes through its various mysterious actions which include shutting down all open programs and folding the laundry. The computer then goes off.

And then somehow IT GOES BACK ON. Let me say this again slowly so that it sinks in. It goes back on. It turns itself on; it was off, and then it woke itself up.

This doesn't scare you?

So then I was messing around with my cell phone this evening and I found an "Auto On-Off" setting. I set up that my phone would go off at 3AM and then on again at 4AM. Are you getting this? An hour after it turns off, it turns itself back on. How the heck does it do that?

If my electronics don't turn off when they say they turn off, how can I ever trust them? Even when they say they are off, they are just waiting, watching the clock till I'm fast asleep so that they can wake up and do all sorts of nefarious things like run spreadsheets and play Minesweeper.

I can barely wake myself up. Computers and cell phones are our superiors and are out to replace me with a robot copy of myself. Only better.

Bring it on, baby.

1 comment:

  1. Windows needs regular rebooting, as does my cell phone and my home VoIP interface (in fact, the procedure, to be done monthly, is now a standard suggestion by T-Mobile support). Conceptually, the idea that these items function better when occasionally reset makes them more human.

    To reboot, perchance to dream...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.