Tuesday, January 11, 2011

quintessential movies

I started making a list of "quintessential movies" this morning and I needed a way to break film down. Genre wouldn't do it because even the genres were too broad. So I have started with sports movies and have broken down the groups by particular sport. My list, though, is not about the "best" film in each category beause, hey, who am I to determine that. But about the movies that, to my mind, typify that sports experience. So here is what I have. If you have others, feel free to start your own blog and make the list for yourself. Please excuse typos -- I'm very tired and working on my daughter's netbook in a low light setting)

Hockey -- Slapshot
Football -- North Dallas Forty
Baseball -- a tough decision. I wasthinking about a sentimental favority like "Field of Dreams" but that isn't about baseball. I considered The Natural and the Bad News Bears but I'm sticking with Major League. Not a great movie, but one that is about baseball. Sort of.
Boxing -- another tough call. Between Cinderella Man and this new Marky Mark movie The Fighter, I had lots of options. But how can I choose anything other than Rocky? The first one.
Bicycle Racing -- Breakling Away
Basketball -- The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh. After that, maybe Hoosiers but honestly, I didn't find Hoosiers very funny.
Wrestling -- there are two types of wrestling -- fake adult wrestling (like in The Wrestler) and real greco-roman wrestling (like in that teen angst underdog wrestling movie). Either way, it isn't a sport.
Dodgeball -- Dodgeball
Arm Wrestling -- clearly, Over the Top. All those other arm wrestling movies aren't nearly as good.
Sailing -- Probably Captain Ron, but only because I couldn't think of another movie about racing boats besides a random James Bond flick.
The Olympics -- Chariots of Fire
Death Racing -- The original Death Race 2000 (close runner up, The Running Man)
Car Racing - I know people want me to say Days of Thunder, but I won't. I also won't say Cars or some Herbie movie. And, no, I'm not listing that Ricky Bobby movie.
Horse Racing -- the one with the kid shipwrecked on the island with the horse. No, not Blue Lagoon. The other one. The kid's name was Alex.
Ping Pong -- I can only think of two contenders, Balls of Fury and Forrest Gump. So I'll choose the new version of The Longest Yeard. It was a miserable movie but it had a ping pong scene and it has another thing going for it -- it is neither Balls of Fury, nor Forrest Gump.
Golf -- Caddyshack. What, you were expecting Tin Cup or Happy Gilmore? Ugh.
Skiing -- Hot Dogs. And that movie also wins for competitive hot tubbing and for "movies named after hot dogs"
video gaming -- The Last Starfighter (second place, Tron)
foot racing and other assorted sports -- Meatballs
cooking -- Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe
Kickboxing -- Bloodsport
Blood sporting -- Kickboxer
Fishing -- Jaws (quint essential)

If you can think of other sports that need my vote, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. It was pointed out to me that I did not include "Rollerball". I should have, under the category of "Movies about Sports in which murder is essential"

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.