Wednesday, March 2, 2011

National Geographicalism

So with the help of two high school seniors, I have developed the definitive proof that the earth is round. Also, note, I did not capitalize the word "earth" because I think that the earth gets too much press as it is.

So here's the thing. You know how if you go all the way around a sphere, you end up back where you started, right?

I'll assume you said "right" because I'm just NOT WRONG on this one.

So if you are in New York, and you head south, you move into what we call "the South." See, captial S -- it DID rise again.

But if you keep going south, you end up in Florida. Now, while in the top of Florida you are in the south, being right by Alabama and sweat, if you keep going, the curvature of the earth kicks in. Suddenly, you find yourself in Miami Beach. And that's just a suburb of New York. So there you have it.

And from one of the same students (who wants a shout out to her blog only until I volunteer to give her one), comes the word "Orinthology" -- the study of OJ Simpson and his flight from justice.

[original version -- "Orinthology -- the study of the Fight or Flight response" does that work better? Vote now!]

1 comment:

  1. If ornithology is bird watching, then orthinology must be word botching.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.