Monday, June 20, 2011

Home page Home

I was on my own blog reading whatever it was I wrote months ago and really, really enjoying myself when I saw, at the bottom of the page, the word "Home."

I clicked it in the vain hope that somehow there would be picture of my house. All was, indeed, vanity. All that appeared was the starting page of my blog. I'm not putting down my blog -- it is one of the favoritest blogs I have, but I must object to the use of the word "Home."

And if that's what I'm angry about today, I hope you can tell just how boring things are these days.

The page where you start on your computer? Called "Home" page. But what about it is home-like? If I set my "home" page to be the google search page, am I saying something about the role of my home? What if my home page is about:blank? Am I homeless?

The internet has coopted many signs, symbols and words. One thing which we have not done is work backwards and see if the new uses reflect at all on the traditional uses. Do we simply let the technolexicographers take what they will and use it at their wont and we just buy into it?

Don't call your home page a home page. Don't call screens windows, pages or tabs. Don't hit "enter" when you aren't actually entering anything.

Fight the power button.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.