Friday, November 25, 2011

What I did on my vacation

One thing I haven't used this blog for is to catalogue the trivial events of a particular day. I usually wait until I have some deep insight into the human condition before I type stuff up. Well, at least until I have some smarmy remark OR a deep insight.

Right now, I have neither, but I have the urge to list what I have done today.

I had a miserable night's sleep -- partially because my throat and head hurt and partially because I'm not very good at sleeping. I try every night, but haven't mastered it.

The internet at home is still out (3 years of complaints during which they insisted that the problem is in the wiring outside and now, suddenly, the problem is our modem) so I graded some papers. Not enough (I still have 5 more of the most pressing papers to grade, then 25 others). The throat started to even out but the headache has not quit. Tylenol does nothing and I'm resisting overloading on caffeine.

I went shopping this morning. That was good for my ego -- here I am, a balding, overweight, scruffy middle aged man and the woman working there calls me "sweetie" and "hon." I still got it. I also saved about 17% on my shopping costs by buying generic.

I tried a new vodka, bought an old favorite and got a haircut. "Leave me my dignity!" I insisted. Well, the follicles and his money are soon parted.

Went home. Tried to grade more papers. Still feel pretty awful, so I went out to an internet coffeehouse for a large cup of tea and a diet muffin. Neither has really lifted my spirits or made my head feel better.

So I'll be headed home now. More papers to grade and a few opportunities to be social on the horizon. And if this is what blogs are supposed to be for, then that's just stupid. I haven't learned a damn thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.