Saturday, December 2, 2023

The Dallas Game

 

If you think I'm done with my NFL-is-Scripted theory, you're wrong. I watched the first half of last week's Thursday night game and, oh man, I have notes!


First Dallas possession. First down throw in the Red Zone. "Flag" on the play. Now, the announcers tell us, "We'll hear from the officials." The announcement comes, "There is no flag on the play" and we all repeat dumbly "there is no flag on the play" like hypnotized zombies. The official releases the mental hold he has on all of us and turns to two players who look at him confusedly and he says (yes, I heard him say this) "No, none -- we called it off, we called it off!"

The TV guy says, "Well, I guess. There's. No. (in a high pitched, squeaky voice) Flaaaag. Ontheplay."

Cut to commercial.

Later comment when something similar happens soon after, "That's the second time they've picked up a flag."

[the commentator knows something is hinky]

During the course of the game, I see, after more plays than usual, players lifting their hands after they make a tackle or whatever it is they do, as if to say "Not me, I didn't do anything." I've seen players being nice to each other, helping each other up and chatting between plays. All of this sends the messages to the officials that "we aren't your pawns tonight. We aren't going to give you ANYTHING to call us on and hold against us -- nothing to allow you to steer us. If you call a penalty, you will be seen as the corrupt force that you are."

At least that's what it looks like to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.