Sunday, December 31, 2023

Unflipping believable

 I have bemoaned in the past that current youth interaction with the internet eliminated accidental reading but until I find the link to it, it will not be on the test. What I'm saying is that the entire nature of TV has changed so they will miss your jargon and cultural references or insist you are making stuff up. An important formative skill will be lost -- channel flipping.

From the earliest "remotes" (including younger siblings) to much more modern marvels you could move between channels with a relative consistency and efficiency. We developed favorites, and patterns. We anticipated plot twists and timed ourselves to be where we needed to be, when we needed to be there. We memorized numbers and combinations, often never knowing the actual name of the channel, just its letter or number. As the years progressed, we had to learn more and more numbers and combinations, but that is the price we pay for a free society. With tax. But this taught us how to retain important information.

But today, if I'm watching a football game on one streaming service but want to bounce to my cable company's cooking channel during the commercials. If I do that, then to get back to the football game isn't just a matter of hitting the "last" button because to open an app every single time is a onerous demand. Every time I do I feel like I have to solve a level of Zork just to get to the install screen. And when it finally logs you in, it takes you to the front page and you have to find your way to where you were tryoing to go initially. If he remembers. Then TV system does the same thing it does every time -- spinny circle, blank screen and then the proper feed. There we go, and....Dang. The ball game just hit the 2 minute warning. I want to check out that recipe and see how it ends! and repeat. No one will want to flip (a boon to advertisers who buy time and anticipate an expected loss of viewership at commercial -- now that bouncing is prohibitively annoying more eyes will stay on the ad) so maybe this is to encourage us to buy more TVs and computers? Go to sports bars? Maybe this is so the tech people can create a need that the nex-gen tech can solve! Yeah and they already have the solution in boxes, ready to be shipped at a premium.

I dunno but I'm pretty sure its a conspiracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.