Wednesday, July 10, 2024

A Hot Take(s)

I slept from 9.30PM to 2.45 in the morning and then I watched reels and did a crossword puzzle. Then more reels. When it was a respectable time to be awake, I showered and joined everyone else. Rafi volunteered to take me to Katamon to deliver some letters but then David volunteered to take me to the cemetery. And who can say no to a free trip to the cemetery? Not this guy, that's for sure. We drove over, under around and through and made it to the cemetery in what was probably record time. Next came the elevator trip down. An elevator in a cemetery is strange. I don't think that my parents moved their eternal resting place but somehow it wasn't where I remember it being. it never is. But we found it on level two, I spoke my peace to the dear ol' parents and we returned home in what was no doubt record time.

I decided to walk to Power Coffee Works. The hero takes a fall -- not me, the coffee place. I have always had fine experiences there and was hoping for another, so I went up to the window to ask for my standard cup of decaf. The 12 year old working today seemed unfamiliar with a whole lotta stuff. I asked if he had cold decaf and he said "Yeah, What kind." I was lost. 10 something in the morning and I'm done in by a barista. What do you mean "what kind?" He said I could have any of the various coffee drinks and I said "no, just coffee." Now he was confused. "No water?" he asked. I couldn't tell if he was being silly, spiteful or just plain dumb. Anyway, he made a shot of espresso and then added sink water and handed it to. An ugly Americano indeed. I drank it and it tasted like water. No mixing, no finesse. I was disappointed. While I was there, though, I did see a pigeon slip on the tile floor. That's what you get for not flying, jerk.

I'm trying to save money by only using my phone when it is in wifi range. Otherwise, I get charged 10 bucks a day and after like 1 day, it begins to add up. The free Jeruslaem wifi was a bust so I figured I would just sit and appreciate my surroundings. My surroundings were basically cigarette smoke and flies, so, um, yay?

A note -- I can read and even understand Hebrew to some degree, and if you know Hebrew, you know that modern Hebrew is usually written without vowel points. This is made more complex by the arbitrary use of transliterations into Hebrew from English. So I saw a sign promoting הצ׳ולנט של פרלינ׳ס which I figured said "the chulent of pralines." It wasn't; it was the chulent with the brand name Perlin's. I heard a lot of English being spoken so I left. I can get that at home.

I walked down Yafo until I turned onto King George and then down Ben Yehuda to 1 Ben Yehuda, Pull and Bear. Maddie wanted jeans because my genes aren't good enough. So I played the stupid American dad and got some lady to have pity on me and help me out. But I had to turn on my mobile data to show her the items Maddie had sent to me so the pants didn't just cost me a bajillion dollars, but a bajillion and 10 dollars. I sat to recover by the public piano at the confluence of Yafo and Ben Yehuda. I wandered up Ben Yehuda to Moshikos. Fresh, hot falafel in a fresh, hot pita with pickles, Israeli salad (made with fresh, hot Israelis), some spicy, and fries in there also. A Sprite Zero to wash it down. 34 NIS and DEEEELISH. I could have eaten another but I'm trying to pace myself.

Back to the house to soak my head and take a nap.

Up til now I haven't mentioned the war. I'm trying not to be political but I want to point something out for those of you who haven't spent time in Israel. In the US, when we say that something happens "in the south" we are talking about events that are multiple humdreds of miles away. David drove to Sderot which is right by Gaza. How far from here? An hour without traffic. Think about that. The incursion wasn't far away. It wasn't hours and hours away. It was an hour away from Jerusalem. That's not much and that's war. 

I woke up and decided to walk to the Kotel (I asked Eyal but he chose not to accompany me). I ran into the Sedek family (with a Jonas along for the ride) and they mentioned that there is a Tekes (a ceremony indicating the end of a stage of training in the army) which is inspirational to watch as long as you are in the shade. On the way I gave a little charity and saw a lots and a lots of soldiers and friends and families. The kotel was packed. I went into the inside part (Wilson's Arch). It was cooler in there and more serious. No families hugging and picnicking or lining up selfies. It was quiet and prayerfilled. I stayed for four or five minchas and just sat and thought.

Why were Jews excluded from the Western Wall for so long? In terms of square footage, this place isn't much and the Jews praying there pose little threat to anyone. But it bespeaks the crime of survival; it is a physical manifestation, a proof of identity and heritage and if you kill a connection to the past, you kill the future. We don't NEED a place -- God is everywhere, but a focal point is helpful. I can see ok but I see better with glasses. We all make pilgrimages to our secret shrines. Sometimes the path is inside, sometimes out.

On the way out of the Wilson's arch area, a bunch of dust and schmutz fell on my head. I looked up and didn't see any source for it. I have been noting God's presence in my life and this seemed like a divine moment. God wanted me to know that I can take the wall with me and that's a nice reminder. At the wall, I also saw Moshe Scoczylas and his son. His son was part of the Tekes (in the Kfir brigade) and I expressed my admiration. I also felt really, really old. Outside the Jaffa Gate, I saw a Levine and we chatted for a bit.

I walked out of the Kotel area and took a back way towards the Rambam Square. I wasn't worried about getting lost because what's the worst that could happen? I get lost and stay at the Kotel? Also, the path I took had a lot of shade and different views. But with all the tech, the start up nation could invent an elevator or an escalator to get to and from the Kotel. I used to be able to make the walk and climb the stairs and still feel much daisy-like. Now, I walk to the corner of this block and I'm sweating and am possessed of dry heaves and shin splints.

I walked back slowly and decided to visit Mike's Place. The last time I was at Mike's, I was joined by a weird character who regaled me with I don't know what and I never ended up ordering because I thought he would roofie my burger when I went to go wash. This time, I actually ordered (menu was via a QR code which is convenient but seems lazy). If, by the way, that weirdo reads this. I take it all back. Please don't roofie my anything.

I got a Mike's Big Burger with fries and a Beck's. The menu is really limited. I was expecting more options. But once I'm sitting, I'm not getting up. The fries were cold which on a day like today is quite a feat! That dinner cost 137 NIS (I also got a bottle of water). The walk back was very relaxing and the pedestrian area was really lively so I made sure to leave it quickly. Back to the N and D compound for some writing, some family schmooz and some (I hope...) sleep.

Tomorrow will include Katamon and food trucks. Ooooh, food trucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.