Saturday, July 13, 2024

The Rest of the Day

A peaceful Shabbat has ended. I'll catch you all up.

We began with davening at Kol Rina, the shul administered by the Swidler family (Rafi davened Friday night and David did most everything else). Then back for dinner. Guests were Ori, a friend of Nava's and a former student of mine, and a lovely couple from Australia. There was much discussion during the meal (a delicious chicken, veggies, potatoes and a sweet potato bread from another planet, cinnamon pastries, chocolate pastries and home made chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for dessert) and regardless of my opinion about the gentleman's opinion, I couldn't argue with his accent. I just listened so I would be immersed in the outback experience but without the spiders the size of my head. Also, they have winter now which is, I believe, a very shrewd scheduling mood. Why have winter when it is already cold. They have it now, when it is really hot so that it isn't hot. Good on you. Put another Ken on the Barbie or whatever is you people do.

After dinner, Rafi and I went to walk around Gan Sacher.  The evening was warm and the time was midnight plus. The park was full of people of all cultures and all ages doing all sorts of things. We watched a cricket game (they totally make the rules up as they go), some soccer, kids on bikes and scooters, families eating entire meals, a playground full of children on swings and slides, and so on. It was 12:30AM and the place was full of activity and children playing as if it was 12:30 in the afternoon. It was crazy to watch. 

Watching people brought up a question of Jewish law for which I don't have an answer. In general, guns fall under a category of "don't mess with it on shabbat." I mean, we all know that in an emergency, one may run to the comfort of the ol' peacemaker but if it isn't an emergency, I was taught that guns are a no go on the sabbath. I also know that soldiers who are required to carry guns when they are out and about are allowed to carry guns, and I'm ok with this. However, it seems to me that carrying a gun outside should be an exception invoked when one has to go somewhere. So if there is no emergency, I don't need to go anywhere -- a realization which would keep me from moving a gun unnecessarily. As I understand it, when exceptions are made, we are not supposed to exploit them. Sure you can drive to the hospital, but don't turn on the radio. So it would seem to me that the average soldier at home would need his gun when he went to synagogue because there is the religious obligation to pray with a quorum if one is available. But a post midnight stroll with a sweetie? That seems like a choice, not any sort of Shabbos obligation. So to choose to take a late night walkie-walk which would then require that one carries his gun seems like an exploitation of the exception. I'm not saying that the soldiers have to stay locked in their houses -- if their food is elsewhere and they have to walk to have a meal then I guess that works. But a purely optional walkabout? Seems excessive. I'm no religious expert but this made me wonder.

Also, while I was out, a couple of people at different times asked me things. In Hebrew. Sure, I'm flattered that they think I speak Hebrew, but I pity anyone who comes to me for information in ANY language. There isn't a language in the world in which I can be especially helpful or know what I'm talking about.

I slept late in the morning so I missed shul but I got up and tried to join the human race before lunch. Today's guests included Ateret and her 2 kids (Moosh and Shmoosh, I believe I was told). Lovely time -- tuna steaks, 3 (at least) different quiches, sweet potatoes with other potatoes in it, home made challah and who knows what else. Then a choice of ice creams and sorbets for dessert. Between the delicious food and the wonderful conversation the cost of the lunch was "priceless." Then for the afternoon, I sat with Nomi and looked through old pictures, realizing how few people I know and how many facts I am unaware of. Did you know that my dad's hat size was 7 and an eighth? I didn't. Now you know -- awesome feeling, right?

Trigger warning -- the next joke may seem rather dark to people but I thought it was funny:

There were a few mosquitoes around and I hate being bitten by skeeters. I was reminded of what my grandfather used to say to do -- bite them back. I guess this would make the mosquitoes feel what I'm feeling. But the more efficient way for them to reach that level of empathy would be if I sprayed them with bug spray so that they will hate themselves and not want to be around themselves for the rest of the day.

I had a really nice time being with family, sharing memories, explaining things to kids, joking about, well everything and then some. Mincha and maariv at Kol Rina also (I got an aliyah!) and then back to the house. Tomorrow begins a new week and I'm looking forward to eating more food!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.