Saturday, July 20, 2024

Friends we haven't met yet. Then we did.

 The world wide computer outage impacted a friend of Nomi and David's. She was due in to Newark min Friday afternoon, giving her ample time to get where she needed to be before the onset of Shabbat, but because of the computer stuff, he flight was delayed and she was scheduled to arrive at 7 when Shabbat began at 8:06. She would have to deplane, get through security, passport control/customs, and get her bags, then get to somewhere else (because if you aren't Tom Hanks, Shabbat in an airport may not be your thang. This was a moment at which I could see that we are a nation, not just a religion (h/t to David for the wording; my original was "Judaism is a nation, not just an annoyance"). Phone calls were made, advice sought, connections made -- kudos to all the resources, the communal rabbis, various Chabads, Facebook friends and friends of friends, and Danielle Tamir (who is pretty much a communal rabbi and a chabad and real life friend) who all stepped up with ideas and a sense of calm amidst our pre-shabbat whirlwind.  In Jerusalem, Shabbat begins earlier than other parts of Israel and we are already 7 hours ahead so while she was crossing the Atlantic, on her way to The Jersey Shore (and beyond) we were already taking showers and forgetting to take the laundry tags off of our shirts. Sure, I would just go to the lounge and open a tab and then lounge for 25 hours, but some people like to be actual places. I don't get it, but  the customer is always right. We really wanted to be able to act like an ATC and hand her off to the next tower so it could guide her in. Since it is only 10:30PM here (post Shabbat) we don't even know what ended up happening. Fortunately, there is nothing else happening in the news of the world so we will just invest all of our hopes into a positive resolution at exit 14A.

A note about Shabbat here -- yes, the "day" begins with a protracted horn's sounding, announcing the candle light time and that's nice, and the traffic reduces substantially and that's nice, but you know what also happens? The family makes sure that its safe room's light is on, and the radio is turned to a specific station which goes off the air on Shabbat but which announces air raid sirens so people can be up to date with what is happening. Think about that, world -- before the spiritual heights, every person has to be conscious of the existential threats that are ever present. Anyone who discounts the experiences of the Israeli population and assumes that "everything is fine" doesn't understand what life here is like and what "fine" really means. It means a constant backdrop of fear, and learning to live without acknowledging and succumbing to that fear.

I had a chance to meet my nephew Eli's (he's my nephew) girlfriend. Her name is Gani (stress on the second syllable, please) and she is wonderful. They seem very happy and she put up with me (and him!) so I found that impressive.

The guest list: Friday night found Sam the Australian and Miriam, his wife (return visit after last week's successful meal) at the table with Gani, me, and Swidler children 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6. Nava was at Mitzpe Ramon for a group program. There was chicken, veggies, challah and other veggies (including insane potatoes) and a vegetable frittata. Today we had 4 members of a Birthright trip (Moishe of Manchester, Menachem of Brooklyn, and Tehilla and Malka of Monsey).  They are here volunteering for a bit, not just visiting the land, but helping where help is needed. That's what a nation does. Color me floored. Plus we have Mr. and Mrs Swidler who just returned from shepherding grandchildren up the US East Coast. Grilled dogs of various sorts, grilled chicken, zucchini kugel, salad and I'm sure other stuff. Oh yeah, last night we had home made chocolate cake for David's birthday and home made double chocolate biscotti for dessert today.

I made it to shul last night and even this morning. I thought I got some reasonable percentage of a good night's sleep. But I kept falling asleep during davening this morning so I excused myself and returned to the house for a well deserved nap. After the guests left, I spent time with the kinds, chatted and joked with Eli and Gani (who is wonderful -- Gani, not Eli; he's my nephew) and went through more pictures with Nomi. All these people is good people.

Now, Avital has a friend over, I have just eaten more chicken (with fried onions) then biscotti, and the post Shabbat clean up and catch up is underway. Tonight is my last night here and I intend to mark it by being finally and fully adjusted to Israeli time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.