Wednesday, April 17, 2024

DOPU's

 Hi guys -

I know I haven't spoken to you (formally) in a while so I'm just dropping a line. I was sent a picture of the two of you recently, one I had never seen, but it was you in your heyday, attending some event or another. That's how I remember you both. In my mind, you were never young, even when you were young. You were always sage and refined even when you were little. You never had a specific age because you were always just "the age that my parents are" whatever that number ended up being. Generally, I estimated your age as halfway between "older" and "old."

Mom, always engaging and working on something. With your angular features and widow's peak (or cowlick or whatever), you were clear eyed and always in the moment. Dad, at an event because he is supposed to be there, or somewhere so he did his job and was somewhere. No doubt it was an unwelcome social engagement for him, like buying a suit, a necessary part of his work to fix the world.

He was never young and she was never old. He was OK with whatever temperature she wanted and she was OK with his choice because she would never be warm enough, anyway. I have no doubt that there was some passive agressive martyrdom bandied back and forth because that's the way things develop in many cases.

I miss that. I miss you both. Please know that you are missed.

Love,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.