Wednesday, November 29, 2023

A Space for Music


So I was sitting, grading papers and I put a classical concert on TV so I could have some background music. I noted the bows of the various strings -- the vibrations created by horsehair against the strings moves teh air and we hear glorious music. 

The reeds of the woodwinds...air blown causes the reed to vibrate through the body of the instrument. The lips of the players of the brass, in their tight-pulled smiles raise and lower the pitch, and even the voice is air drawn past vocal chords causing vibrations.

And I then think of airless space. The massive vacuum of infinity can hold no vibrations or emotions. Imagine if I were to transport the entire of the philharmonic and put them up into space. Would there be music if there can be no air borne vibrations?


Dunno, but the music guys would all be dead anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and understand that no matter what you type, I still think you are a robot.